Over 20 years of experience in Performance – Health – Wellness for sport, rehabilitation, and leadership & programming for businesses / organizations.
- R.C.C. – Registered Clinical Counsellor – BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- Ph.D., Sport Psychology – University of Otago, NZ
- M.A., Sport Psychology – University of Alberta, Canada
- B.A. (Honours), Kinesiology – University of Victoria, Canada
- Professional Member – Canadian Sport Psychology Association (CSPA)
- Mental Health First Aid – Provider – Canadian Mental Health Commission
Bruce’s work as a Registered Clinical Counsellor focuses primarily on:
- health and injury management
- career and workplace concerns
- chronic injury
- stress management
- return to function / work / performance
- sleep management
- dealing with transition and changes to daily living and active lifestyles due to health or injury issues
- mental performance enhancement for sport / recreation / active living / work.
I created a ‘Psychology of Injury Management’ educational program for patients and allied health professionals around managing Musculo-skeletal injuries that has part of the successful, positive, and sustainable rehabilitation for over 5000 patients (sport, work-related, motor vehicle accidents, long-term disability, and other sources). I enjoy bringing a pragmatic and positive approach, using a combination of cognitive and behavioural strategies to assist those dealing with the challenges of injury towards return to function, return to play, return to work, and enhanced quality of life outcomes.
In relation to sport performance enhancement, Bruce has worked in high-performance sport with elite athletes and teams at all levels, including professional, Olympic & Paralympic, National, Provincial, and local. He has been a member of Team Canada at the Olympics, Paralympics, Pan American Games, Commonwealth Games, and other major international sporting events.
Areas of expertise include:
- mental preparation routines
- performing under pressure
- performance consistency
- building resiliency
- team dynamics
- stress management & adaptive responses
- high-performance lifestyle routines
- athlete & coach wellness
- injury management (mental performance perspective)
- career transition planning & support
Corporate Performance – Health – Wellness: Leadership, team dynamics, performance, and programming are focal areas where my expertise are being used with a variety of businesses and organizations in the corporate world.
Education: I am currently an Adjunct Professor (University of Victoria – School of Exercise Science, Physical & Health Education), and have taught graduate and undergraduate courses in a variety of areas related to sport psychology, health, active living, and recreation.